Home Remedies for Jaundice
When red blood cells break down, new cells are formed to replace them. The replaced ones are then handled by the liver. When the liver is not able to process the broken cells, Bilirubin(a yellowish pigment found in bile, a fluid made by the liver) builds up in the body making the skin look Yellow. This is commonly known as Jaundice or Yellow fever.
There are three main types of Jaundice
- Hemolytic(when breakdown of red blood cells quickens)
- Hepatocellular (occurs when disease or injury harms the liver)
- Obstructive jaundice (crop up because of blockage in the bile ducts or abnormal amount of bile in liver).
It surely is a terrifying disease but can be cured with ease if treated with proper medication along with natural home remedies as well.
Some of the popular home remedies for Jaundice are
Sugarcane Juice is one of the vital medications for Jaundice. It’s not just another fruit drink but it is also full of important nutrients that help to recover most of the illness. The anti-oxidant in the juice helps to boost immune system. It also helps liver to function correctly and keeps the bilirubin levels in control.
- Crush one half of the cane into the glass and drink it twice or thrice a day.
- You can also add Salt to the drink if its to sweet for you.
Tomatoes, also refered as “Functional Food”, prevents you from many chronic diseases because of the presence of phytochemicals (any of various biologically active compounds found in plants.) such as Lycopene. Tomatoes are also rich in Alpha-Lipoic acid, which helps in converting glucose into energy. Tomato also helps in reducing damage to the liver.
- Add a bit of salt and pepper into the tomato juice and drink it every morning.
- It can also be served with other meals.
Papaya provides you with not only moist taste and bright color but also with various types of anti-oxidant nutrients such as Vitamin C, Carotenes(yellow or orange-red fat-soluble pigments in plants),Vitamin B etc. Papaya also helps in building up your immunity power and let it function properly.
- It can be served with different other fruits.
- It can be squeezed and turned into liquid to drink.
Lemon is an acidic fruit that has maximum level of Vitamin C, which is really good for the fight against Jaundice. Lemon helps you protect the liver cells.
- Squeeze a lemon, to a glass of mild warm water. Drinking it thrice a day is beneficial for Jaundice patients.
- Lemons can be served with other meals as well. For example, squeezing it on top of regular meals.
Almonds are extremely rich in vitamin E, iron, calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium. Paralleled to other nuts, almonds are the finest nutrient packed nut. It helps to boost metabolic rate and energy because of the presence of manganese, copper and Riboflavin in it. People with Jaundice lack energy, so eating almonds in the right amount can boost their energy level.
- Almonds can be eaten directly at any time preferred.
- Soak 8-9 almond seeds in the water and keep it overnight, after you take it off from the water, you can grind it into a paste and have it as well.
Turmeric is an anti-inflammatory agent which appears bright yellow in color and is useful for different kind of health conditions. Turmeric purifies Xenobiotic (toxic) chemicals and helps removing contamination on the liver.
- Quarter tea spoon of turmeric powder in the warm water and drinking it twice a day.
- It can also be served by sprinkling it on top of healthy meals before cooking.
Ginger is a congealed strong perfumed rhizome(a continuously growing horizontal underground stem which puts out lateral shoots and adventitious roots at intervals) which is used as a spice. Ginger is used as medicines in most of the Asian countries. It helps regain appetite. People in the first state of jaundice lose appetite which is the primary causes of Jaundice to grow. So, Ginger can make people hungry and eating health food is a step towards curing Jaundice.
- Extracting juice from a piece of Ginger and combine it with mint or lime juice. Taking it 5 times a day can help you gain appetite.
- It also can be cut into small pieces and served with curries.
Jaundice can be cured if you are careful enough. Without proper care, it might be fatal as well.